Sunday, October 11, 2009

Today, I drove home from my visit with Erin.

I have made this drive many times before. While I was driving I realized the directions on my phone asked me to take a slightly different route than usual. I started taking that route, but quickly turned around and decided to use my memory instead because I realized I knew how to get home and wanted to take the way I was familiar with.

Driving on a highway in the middle of cornfields, I admired the red and orange leaves. Then I noticed an animal on the road. As I got a little closer, I realized a small Beagle was trotting down the middle of the highway. I quickly pulled off to the side of the road and put my blinkers on.

I walked onto the highway and coaxed the little guy off of the highway. Without thinking, I scooped him up and put him into my backseat. I did not want anyone to hit the fellow.

I spent some time looking him over. No collar. Emaciated. Ducked every time I went to pet him. Cigarette burn on the top of his head. Covered in spurs & bugs. Tail between his legs. I pet him, gave him some calming words, and brushed the debris/bugs off of him.

Then I was like, uh, now what? So, I called animal control for the nearest town (not open) and the police (who had an answering machine because they were out of office?!?!). Not knowing what to do, I called the humane society where we adopted George and asked for further advice. They asked me how far away I was (1 hour) and told me to bring him on in.

So, I drove home with this guy:



My heart was heavy. I knew that this was probably not the case of someone missing their beloved pet. But probably, someone abandoning a pet they abused/neglected to fend for itself in the middle of nowhere. Eventually, the little guy came up to the front seat to sit closer to me. He still was unsure when I pet him. But I pet him the whole way.

And when I dropped him off at the Humane Society, I felt better. I knew he would be safe and cared for. I think there will be a light at the end of his tunnel.

5 comments:

Sarah Viola said...

It was great to meet you Leah, even under such strange circumstances!

You just saved that dogs life. That's amazing.

InTheFastLane said...

That poor dog. I hope some one takes him home and takes care of him.

Erin said...

I want to scoop him up and cuddle with him, Leah. And then I want to hug you for having the biggest heart of anyone I know.

Love said...

so sad, yet so sweet that you could be there to save him!

Sara Joy said...

On behalf of that adorable little dog:
Thanks for doing the right thing.
<3

 
a unit of illuminance - by Templates para novo blogger